Mimosa says, thanks for volunteering!
Animal shelter volunteers play critical roles in helping us save even more cats and dogs. Volunteers are the soul of our organization, and we are happy you are considering joining our family! Help make a real difference to end the plight of homeless pets.
Information for Adult Volunteers
Why volunteer for The Animal League? You’ll meet a lot of friendly animal-loving people, it’s fun, and most importantly, you’re helping the animals!
Volunteer opportunities are available in many different areas for adults who wish to volunteer 2-4 hours weekly with The Animal League. Volunteers are the heart and soul of our organization, and we strive to offer meaningful opportunities that are both rewarding to you and beneficial to us.
Adult Volunteer opportunities
Volunteers are the soul of our organization, and we are happy you are considering joining our family! Please note that to volunteer you should:
- be at least 17 years of age, and if you are between 17-18 years old have consent from a legal guardian to volunteer with us.
- have ID showing your present address and birth date.
- attend all required training which includes an initial orientation. Additional training may be required depending on your area of service.
Click below to learn more about each opportunity.
Adult Volunteer Application
Please complete the application in its entirety. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The information you provide will be held in the utmost of confidence, and will only be used for the application process.
Student Community Service Hours for Students Ages 12-18
Thank you for choosing The Animal League for your community service project! Using your community service hours to help the animals is very much appreciated. We know each student has a specific number of community service hours to be completed to fulfill school requirements. The Animal League has designated a flexible donation drive project to meet these varying needs. At this time we do not offer on-site volunteer hours for temporary student volunteers completing community service requirements. Our long-term volunteers require a commitment of 2-4 hours weekly and go through necessary pet handling and safety training. We offer limited exceptions for student groups, such as the Boy Scouts, who have trade skills such as carpentry and landscaping. Contact us for more information if this applies to your current volunteer request. Complete the student volunteer application to get started!
Student Volunteer Application
Please complete and submit the student volunteer application below to introduce yourself. We’ll be in touch with next steps. Please check your spam folder if you don’t hear from us. We look forward to talking with you!
Student Community Service Donation Drives: Calculation of Service Hours
Pet Supplies for Our Adoptable Dogs
- Durable Chew Toys such as Nylabones and Kongs (1/2 hr per 3 of any size)
- Mesh Harnesses (all sizes needed) (1/2 hr per harness)
- Leashes (1/2 hr per leash)
- Pedigree Adult Dry Dog Food (1/2 hr for 3-8 lbs)(1 hr for 9lbs or larger)
- Pedigree Canned Puppy Food (1 hr per case)
- Pedigree Dry Puppy Food (1/2 hr for 3-8 lbs)(1 hr for 9lbs or larger)
- Pedigree Canned Pate Dog Food (1 hr per case)
- Dog Treats (1/2 hr for 5 bags)
- Flea and Tick Control for dogs and puppies (1/2 hr per box)
- Sheets, Towels, Blankets that fit in a washer (1 hr for 5 blankets)
Pet Supplies for Our Adoptable Cats
- Cat Treats (1/2 hr for 5 bags)
- Cat Toys of all varieties (1/2 hr for 5 toys)
- Purina Kitten Chow (1/2 hr for 3-8 lbs)(1 hr for 9lbs or larger)
- Purina Cat Chow (1/2 hr for 3-8 lbs)(1 hr for 9lbs or larger)
- Flea and Tick Control for cats and kittens (1/2 hr per box)
- Cat litter (1/2 hr for 3-8 lbs)(1 hr for 9lbs or larger)
- Soft Blankets (1 hr for 5 blankets)
Cleaning Supplies for Our Adoption Center
- Paper Products: Paper Towels, Toilet paper, Paper Plates, Cups (1/2 hr per package)
- Liquid Laundry Detergent (High Efficiency) (1/2 hr for 1 Gallon)
- Bleach (1/2 hr for 1 Gallon)
- Fabulosa (1/2 hr for 1 bottle)
- Trash Bags: 14 gallon, 33+ gallon, 55 gallon (1/2 hr for 1 box of trash bags)
- Pine Sol or Generic Brand All-Purpose Cleaners (1/2 hr for 1 bottle)
- Industrial Mop Heads, large 1 ¼” tape band (1/2 hr per mop head)
- Liquid Dish Soap (1/2 hr for 1 bottle)
- Brooms, Rakes, Shovels, Long Handled Scrub Brushes (1 hr per item)
Hours are given for successfully following all donation drive guidelines and procedures. No exceptions will be made. Please remember this is an ongoing need. We use these supplies each and every day! We hope you will donate again throughout the year. Please, no pillows or cushions.
*These are maximum hours available.
Ready to get started with your donation drive? Complete the below donation drive form so that we can help you plan for success and avoid common pitfalls.
Steps To Organizing A Pet Food & Supply Drive For The Animal League
Students may collect as many pounds of food or supplies as they wish.
- Create posters or flyers for your pet food and supply drive. Please see our Wish List of the items we currently need.
- Be sure to get your donation drive and your advertising materials approved by The Animal League before beginning your donation drive. See our approved samples.
- Remember this is a donation drive for goods. Do not ask for money.
- Contact friends, neighbors, relatives, your school and/or church, area businesses, etc. to solicit Wish List donations. For pet food we accept fresh, unexpired, unopened bags of dry cat and dog food. Do not do door-to-door solicitations without parental supervision.
- Social media is a good way to spread the word about your donation drive!
- Contact the Volunteer Coordinator one week prior to make an appointment to drop off the donations.
- Don’t forget to thank those who donated and helped you with this project! A personal note from you is most appropriate.
- Once we have received the donation of supplies, the Volunteer Coordinator will sign any forms required by your school, verifying the project and hours completed. It is your responsibility to present school forms to us with your completed project.
We have organized many different group volunteer days and events on and off our Adoption Center campus throughout the years, for businesses, student organizations, and classes. Some ideas for your group activity include:
- A group volunteer day at our Adoption Center campus improving the landscaping, painting, constructing, and organizing
- Fundraisers at your place of business
- Involving The Animal League in your event for charitable giving or wish list donations
- Donation drives
Are you a current volunteer? Login to Volgistics to track your hours.