The Animal League’s Nourish the Needy Program Supplies Local Food Pantries with Pet Food
Our food programs exist solely through the generosity of veterinarians, business owners, and concerned community members who want to keep pets and their families together through financially hard times.
Nourish the Needy
Nourish the Needy is The Animal League program assisted by veterinarians, business owners, and concerned citizens who want to do something to prevent people from having to make the heartbreaking decision to give up a beloved pet. Faced with financial hardship, families often give up their pets when they cannot afford to feed them. The unfortunate result is that many pets are being given up or abandoned. This is heartbreaking for everyone involved. To help these people most in need, The Animal League provides emergency assistance to families facing unemployment, foreclosure, or other financial crises, thus enabling them to keep their pets. We provide pet food until the family is able to provide this necessity on their own.
Pets of the Homeless
The Animal League is also a collection site for a nationally acclaimed program Pets of the Homeless. This is a similar program with a focus on providing pet food and medical treatment for the pets of homeless people so they can keep their beloved friends. The purpose of both the Nourish the Needy and Pets of the Homeless programs is to prevent people from having to give up their pets. Owners must show proof of financial need to the food pantries according to the pantries’ guidelines.
Both food programs exist solely through the generosity of the community, with all pet food and supplies donated by others: nothing is purchased by The Animal League.
Here is a listing of pet food collection sites partnering with The Animal League where you can drop off pet food year-round:
- The Animal League Adoption Center | 4648 Baptist Island Road, Groveland | (352) 429-6334
- The Animal League Wellness Center | 32721 Radio Road Leesburg | (352) 530-2688
- The Animal League Thrift Shop | 770 W Montrose Street, Clermont | (352) 394-1818
- All Care Animal Hospital | 504 S Highway 27, Minneola | (352) 394-7444
- Ambiance Studio Salon | 2110 North Donnelly Street Suite 400, Mout Dora | (352) 383-4247
- Royal Oaks Veterinary | 2105 Hartwood Marsh Rd #1, Clermont | (352) 243-8043
- Petco | 2561 East Highway 50, Clermont | (352) 241-7640
Find A Pantry
Here is a listing of food pantries The Animal League supports where you can receive pet food if you are in need and qualify:
- Leesburg Food Bank | 503 N 13th St, Leesburg | (352) 326-5463
- Christian Service Center | 300 West Franklin St., Ocoee | (407) 656-6678
- Faith Neighborhood Center | 7432 S.R. 50, Groveland | (352) 429-1200
- Family Christian Center | 16215 Highway 50, Clermont | (352) 242-1895
Please note this may not be a comprehensive list of pantries offering pet food. Check your local listings.