Thank you for choosing The Animal League for your community service project! Using your community service hours to help the animals is very much appreciated.
We know each student has a specific number of community service hours to be completed to fulfill school requirements. The Animal League has designated a flexible donation drive project to meet these varying needs.
At this time we do not offer on-site volunteer hours for temporary student volunteers completing community service requirements. Our long-term volunteers require a commitment of 2-4 hours weekly and go through necessary pet handling and safety training. We offer limited exceptions for student groups, such as the Boy Scouts, who have trade skills such as carpentry and landscaping. Contact us for more information if this applies to your current volunteer request.
Hours are given for successfully following all guidelines and procedures appropriate to the specific project. No exceptions will be made.
Steps in meeting community service hours
- Review the information below and plan for your drive.
- Complete the application below at least one week prior to beginning your project.
- Advertising is an important component to a successful donation drive! All advertising such as flyers and posters must be approved by The Animal League prior to use. This will ensure our brand is appropriately and accurately represented. Ask us for a copy of our logo if you need one. In addition to creating your own, you may use our donation drive template flyers.
- Submit your donation drive flyer or poster to the Volunteer Coordinator for approval prior to starting your donation drive.
- You may begin your donation drive only once you have submitted the form below and received approval from the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Contact the Volunteer Coordinator one week prior to dropping off your donation drive goods to coordinate a time.
- The Volunteer Manager will tally your community service hours and document for your school on a signed letterhead upon completion of your donation drive.
Steps to Organizing a Pet Food & Supply Drive for The Animal League
Students may collect as many pounds of food or supplies as they wish.
- Create posters or flyers for your pet food and supply drive (see flyer examples). Please see our Wish List of the items we currently need.
- Be sure to get your donation drive and your advertising materials approved by The Animal League before beginning your donation drive.
- Remember this is a donation drive for goods. Do not ask for money.
- Contact friends, neighbors, relatives, your school and/or church, area businesses, etc. to solicit Wish List donations. For pet food we accept fresh, unexpired, unopened bags of dry cat and dog food. Do not do door-to-door solicitations without parental supervision.
- Social media is a good way to spread the word about your donation drive!
- Contact the Volunteer Coordinator one week prior to make an appointment to drop off the donations.
- Don’t forget to thank those who donated and helped you with this project! A personal note from you is most appropriate.
- Once we have received the donation of supplies, the Volunteer Coordinator will sign any forms required by your school, verifying the project and hours completed. It is your responsibility to present school forms to us with your completed project.
Calculation of Service Hours
Hours are given for successfully following all guidelines and procedures above. No exceptions will be made. Please remember this is an ongoing need. We use these supplies each and every day! We hope you will donate again throughout the year.
Pet Supplies for our Adoptable Dogs
- Durable Chew Toys such as Nylabones and Kongs (1/2 hr per 3 of any size)
- Mesh Harnesses (all sizes needed) (1/2 hr per harness)
- Leashes (1/2 hr per leash)
- Pedigree Adult Dry Dog Food (1/2 hr for 3-8 lbs)(1 hr for 9lbs or larger)
- Pedigree Canned Puppy Food (1 hr per case)
- Pedigree Dry Puppy Food (1/2 hr for 3-8 lbs)(1 hr for 9lbs or larger)
- Pedigree Canned Pate Dog Food (1 hr per case)
- Dog Treats (1/2 hr for 5 bags)
- Flea and Tick Control for dogs and puppies (1/2 hr per box)
- Sheets, Towels, Blankets that fit in a washer (1 hr for 5 blankets)
Pet Supplies for our Adoptable Cats
- Cat Treats (1/2 hr for 5 bags)
- Cat Toys of all varieties (1/2 hr for 5 toys)
- Purina Kitten Chow (1/2 hr for 3-8 lbs)(1 hr for 9lbs or larger)
- Purina Cat Chow (1/2 hr for 3-8 lbs)(1 hr for 9lbs or larger)
- Flea and Tick Control for cats and kittens (1/2 hr per box)
- Cat litter (1/2 hr for 3-8 lbs)(1 hr for 9lbs or larger)
- Soft Blankets (1 hr for 5 blankets)
Cleaning Supplies for our Operations
- Paper Products: Paper Towels, Toilet paper, Paper Plates, Cups (1/2 hr per package)
- Liquid Laundry Detergent (High Efficiency) (1/2 hr for 1 Gallon)
- Bleach (1/2 hr for 1 Gallon)
- Fabulosa (1/2 hr for 1 bottle)
- Trash Bags: 14 gallon, 33+ gallon, 55 gallon (1/2 hr for 1 box of trash bags)
- Pine Sol or Generic Brand All-Purpose Cleaners (1/2 hr for 1 bottle)
- Industrial Mop Heads, large 1 ¼” tape band (1/2 hr per mop head)
- Liquid Dish Soap (1/2 hr for 1 bottle)
- Brooms, Rakes, Shovels, Long Handled Scrub Brushes (1 hr per item)
Please NO PILLOWS OR CUSHIONS. Contact us if you need pick up for one time items. Thank you!
*These are maximum hours available.