Hurricane Irma Update – Saturday, September 16, 2017
Our adoption center will reopen on Friday, September 22. Currently our thrift store in downtown Clermont is still closed due to Hurricane Irma. Friends, our thrift store is our major source of revenue that is funding our adoption center. As each day passes with the thrift store closed, we lose ground to help our over 200 dogs and cats currently under our care. We need to be able to purchase medications and pay the bills. We could truly use some financial support right now.
We take in the abused, the injured, and the abandoned. Sadly, there is a non-stop need of help for these pets, especially right now.
For every pet we take in and rehome:
- We provide rehabilitation in addition to routine health care such as up-to-date vaccines and preventatives such as heartworm and flea control.
- We spay/neuter and microchip each pet and test them for leukemia/aids and heartworms.
- Every single one of these dogs and cats requires medical treatment ranging from $450-$2,000.00 each. This medical treatment is in addition to housing, transport, feeding, and other costs associated with keeping them safe, healthy, and happy while in our care.
The Animal League does not receive funding from the county, government, or taxpayers. We shoulder the cost of rescue completely by ourselves.
We are really hurting. Please consider a donation to the homeless pets in this time of great need.
This little sweetheart is one of many dogs we took in just before Hurricane Irma. Obviously injured, sick, and starved, rehabilitation will be necessary.
Friends near and far: Please donate to help us through this.
Adoption Center Reopens Friday, September 22.
Thanks to the hard work of our staff, volunteers, and community members we will be open again on Friday, September 22nd. We will be holding adoptions by appointment only this Saturday 9/16, Sunday 9/17, and Monday 9/18.
Our Adoption Team and volunteers are working very hard to process the over 200 applications we’ve received over the past 2 weeks, so please allow us an extra amount of time to process your application.
Some things you can do to speed up your adoption application process:
- Email vet records (shots and heartworm prev for dogs) to adoptions(at)theanimalleague.org
- Email landlord pet agreements to adoptions(at)theanimalleague.org
- Tell your references we’ll be calling
Hurricane Irma Update – Thursday, September 14, 2017
The lights came back on and we have power!
We are still in recovery mode with the following high priority needs:
- Pedigree dog and puppy food
- Gowns and gloves
- Cash donations – We will put your monetary donations to good use toward a much-needed larger generator, pet food and supplies, and other infrastructure projects to repair Hurricane Irma damages and to keep pets safe and sound. A larger generator will help to power our recovery units where we house sick and injured pets.
Thank you so much to everyone who donated, volunteered their time and energy, and shared our Facebook posts. We are overwhelmed by the generosity and support of our community!
Animal League friends: We need you. We need you quickly.