In honor of the ASPCA’s 150th anniversary, they’re giving supporters a chance to nominate their local shelter for the chance to win a $150,000 grant prize.
They will choose one shelter to receive a $150,000 grant, with five more shelters receiving $15,000 grants as well.
To enter, tell them about the incredible work The Animal League does by clicking HERE and telling them why we deserve to win.
Need some talking points? Check out this information below:
- The Animal League, formerly South Lake Animal League, has been in existence since 1988. As the organization has evolved to serve areas in Central Florida and beyond, the organization re-branded to become “The Animal League” earlier this year.
- We are a private, non-profit, 501(c)3 organization. We do not receive funding from the United Way, the state, the Humane Society of United States, ASPCA or any national organizations. We continue our mission thanks to Adoption Center revenue, Thrift Store revenue, grants, fundraisers and contributions from caring individuals and local corporations.
- We are a “no-kill” shelter. We are a Limited-Admission shelter, which means we admit new animals based on space and financial resources. We never euthanize based on space or time limit.
- We do accept pregnant and nursing mothers, all breeds, senior pets, sick and injured pets and heartworm positive dogs.
- Staff and volunteers care for up to 125-150 animals at the adoption center and between 50-75 pets in foster homes on any given day.
- It is important to note we have a screening process based on best match between pet and owner. We are nothing like a pet store!
- 1,232 Dogs and Cats Adopted (963 in 2014; 713 in 2013)
- 20,000+ Pounds of Pet Food Provided through the Nourish the Needy Program
- 5,254 Children and Adults participated in our Humane Education Programs (4,120 in 2015)
- Participated in 90 Community Events (60 in 2015)
- Earned the Guidestar Exchange Gold Participant Rating